Friday 15 February 2013

I'm going to Tallinn for Independence Day!!

All this week I have been debating with myself whether I should fly to Tallinn for Independence Day. I was there last year but of course this year is the big year - the 95th anniversary. Estonia has really bloomed since regaining its independence and I do feel a sense of pride. Sadly both my Estonian grandparents died before independence was restored in 1991. They never got to see their country free again.  If they could see how wonderful and free Estonia has become today I know without a doubt how proud they'd be. All Estonians love their country and they were no exception. Out of all my immediate family I am the one who tends to go back to Estonia the most.  The more I discover about Estonia, the more I love it. It's truly a beautiful country - its people exude strength yet gentleness at the same time. War and occupation may have caused my family to leave Estonia but freedom is what has enabled us to come back.